Thursday, January 11, 2018

Lead, follow or get out of the way


Dad was like me. He told me one day last month"We are the same guy." We never had a cross word in all the years I knew him. The first day I met him I walked into his house before a wedding. He had a hand in his pocket and Mom introduced me as the new guy dating Lisa. He had his hand in his pocket and he looked me up and down. He goes "How you doing pal?" I looked at him and said "Pretty good pally how you doing?" We hit it off.

So we basically had the same political and social opinions with all that entails. In fact at family gatherings we would sit together and have a beer like those two guys in the balcony of the Muppet's.

With all that he saved thousands of the natives of Brownsville. He would give junkies mouth to mouth. There was an epidemic of heroin in those days. The junkies would vomit on him. He would brush it aside and continue the mouth to mouth.

He just loved to tell stories about it though. Once they pulled up on a medical call and there was this dude standing next to a beat up old car. Dad goes "Hey Willie why did you call us?" My damn brother threw me out the apartment" "So why did you call the Fire Department?""He be on the second floor. He threw me out the damn window."

9 comments:

The Dude said...

Dude was so dumb when he got thrown out of the apartment he got thrown out of the apartment!

ricpic said...

For far I've escaped being vomited on.

ricpic said...

So far.

Speaking of which: although I don't doubt the veracity of the Pal Pally story I was under the impression that when a young man or even a youngish man is first introduced to his future father-in-law he is either obsequious or extremely obsequious, in the hope of not being threatened with bodily harm or plain escaping bodily harm.

Trooper York said...

Not a.

Damn IPhone

Chip Ahoy said...

That's funny. Toni warned me not to argue with her dad.

"Is it alright if I point out the flaws and discuss the weakness of his conclusions?"

"No. That's what I'm talking about. Don't do that."

Always telling me to shut up in one form or another, and now, a predictive shut up.

He kept lifting and dropping like rain the coins in his pocket of his loose pants, a nervous habit, and I wanted to say, "KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE POCKET POOL ALREADY." But I kept my irritation to myself.

edutcher said...

War stories.

ndspinelli said...

I would rather someone bust my balls than kiss my ass.

Darcy said...

This is adorable. My husband can't pull off obsequious, either. Or phony. If he isn't taking to someone, I can tell right away. Sometimes that can be awkward, I tell ya.

Trooper York said...

I glad that you are happy Darcy. I bet your guy is a real ass dude.