Sunday, January 7, 2018

Comedy tonight!



I alluded to watching a Netflix series in a previous comment. It is true -- I watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. I like cars, I like comedy, have only had maybe two cups of coffee in my life, so that part didn't matter much to me, although the riffing about civet cat coffee was mildly amusing.

The show was put together by Jerry Seinfeld, who, although he is a leftist near-billionaire, doesn't really touch on politics that often. And since there are a ton of epis and they are very short you can skip any particular one that features an out-and-out anti-American comic, and if you see who his guests are you can figure out who I mean by that.

The cars are interesting, with too many German cars, and that strikes me as peculiar, but what are you going to do, eh? Jerry (can I call him Jerry?) is well known for his love of Porsches and how many of them he owns. The local fine art museum had a show that featured Porsches and several of them were from his collection, so I have seen them in person. And now I have seen them on television and that makes them more real, right? Ha!

Jerry drove a rusty VW dual cab pickup to meet Michael Richards, AKA Kramer. Michael was contrite, knew he screwed up royally, and they discussed it. Mr. Richards put it in terms of being selfish rather than selfless when he used a racial epithet toward a heckler. Some words can only be used by a minority of our population. He says now that the heckler was correct, his, Mr. Richards, material really did suck, and if he could have a redo he would have admitted that and walked off stage rather than attack the heckler and, in effect, kill his career in less than a minute. And kill it he did -- it is irretrievably deceased. That epithet was, as the locals mispronounce it, truly an epitaph.

Jerry was conciliatory and he said an interesting thing -- he wishes that Mr. Richards could use his "instrument" again, and by that he means his unbelievably excellent physical humor. He had a gift, that was always evident, but his ego ended any possibility that we will see him work ever again. So it goes.


Norm McDonald was very funny, too. He rode in a tiny '58 Porsche Speedster, in the rain, with no side curtains. He is a big guy and just wouldn't fit in that car. But he worked the room, as it were, and his interview stood out.

So did Bill Burr's -- he's a funny far up north Irishman from the Boston area. He touched on how people from that city are some of the funniest people in the country -- that has been my experience, too. 

There was obvious affection between Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jerry -- that was good to see. Garry Shandling was good, too. The irony, of course, was that they went to the Laugh Factory and walked around talking about their comedy friends that they had lost. Now Garry is gone as well. 

I mentioned Mel Brooks, he was in an epi with Carl Reiner - at that time those two had been friends for 62 years -- how awesome is that?

Bob Einstein told some good jokes, but Jerry pulled a joke on him. That was kind of odd, actually. 

I could go on and on, but I did get some good laughs from that show, I do like cars, and learned a few things about some obscure ones - for instance, don't take Steve Martin for a ride in a 1954 Siata 8V -- that sumbitch, the car that is, will break down.

I found Miranda Sings to be both troubling and brilliant - that's a sure sign of a good comedian.

That's it - I could go on and on, but I shall not. Check out an epi or two, see what you think.

Oh yeah, Jim Gaffigan opened for the pope - what a gig, eh? And another thing I noticed, Howard Stern ain't right.

Time does indeed pass, as do we all.

Ps -- it was 4 degrees this morning, it is now 17, but tomorrow -- 40! Yeehaw!

16 comments:

edutcher said...

The reason he is a near-billionaire is because he doesn't really touch on politics.

He remembers the Ditzy Twits.

Chip Ahoy said...

Sounds great. There sure are a lot.

But,

Alec Baldwin, skip
Stephen Cobert, skip
Sara Jessica Parker, skip
Trevor Noah, skip
John Oliver, skip
Seth Meyers, skip
Barack Obama, skip
David Letterman, skip
Jon Stewart, skip
Patton Oswalt, skip
Bill Maher, skip
Sarah Silverman, skip

The Jim Carey one is surprisingly good.

Chip Ahoy said...

Have you noticed on Ace, in the comments, that no matter what you might have to say somebody else already said it? They're showing a stock photo of a mountain, cropped, full version here, and I thought, man that Bob Ross got really good. Control F in comments and sure enough, someone beat me to the punch.

How dare them crop the photo. It's like all those trees aren't even appreciated.

ampersand said...

I hear Chief Inspector Mueller is very,very,very close to indicting the ham sandwich that murdered Mama Cass Elliot.

The Dude said...

Chip - that was my list, too. I didn't even want to see what kind of car was used in those epis, and I love cars.

Don Rickles, may he rest in peace, was very good. I watched the Curb Your Enthusiasm guy, he was moderately funny. Robert Klein was okay, and he made me look up his "Opera Pimp" bit. Good stuff.

Tank said...

Been watching the show since before it hit Netflix. I enjoy it and, if you notice, the funny guy is Jerry. He is always good. Some of the others are funny, most not, but many, even if not funny, are very personable. Some of the lefties Chip mentioned are enjoyable and charismatic. No, I did not watch Zero; geez, some things you just can't do.

The Dude said...

I agree - while I never thought of Jerry as a natural comedian, that is, one who is always cranking out bits like Robin Williams or Jonathan Winters, he is smart and he works hard to perfect his craft.

He is quick, and he picks up on other comedians situations or characters and the improv bits they develop in the car are funny.

I was impressed at how long he has known guys like George Wallace - then I looked at the two of them and thought that perhaps there is something to be said for moderation - ol' George looks like living hell even though he is only a bit older than Jerry.

I was appalled that Obama was even on there - I skipped it, but wondered about the sucking up aspect of that.

ndspinelli said...

Great post. Michael Richards showed his improvisational physical humor when he started loading the VW w/ empty trash barrels and speaking in pig-Spanish. The man is still non PC. On that topic, I don't care what Seinfeld's politics are, there is no comedian stronger on the danger of PC in comedy. He said he won't do campus concerts. Got a lotta shit for speaking the truth but does not back down! Most comics are insecure and nasty w/ other comics. Seinfeld obviously has plenty of self esteem and is generous w/ his brothers and sisters. He has had Richard's back since Day 1. The day after the "nigger" video Seinfeld went on Letterman and they did a remote interview w/ Richards. It was a kind gesture but Richards looked shell shocked and pissed on his leg.

If you like Norm Macdonald try Norm Macdonald Live on YouTube. You'll see he is pretty conservative. He has conservative comedians like Tim Allen, Dana Carvey, Martin Mull[strong libertarian] on.

ndspinelli said...

We went to see George Wallace in Vegas. He called my very shy wife up to the stage. He saw how nervous she was and was gentle poking fun. Did a funny bit when he learned she was a probation officer. He started listing names of cousins and asking if they were on her caseload.

ndspinelli said...

Bob Eintein[Super Dave] is on Norm Live. Piss your pants funny. I assume you all know he's Albert Brooks brother.

The Dude said...

I knew that Brooks was his brother, but learned on that show that his father was known as "Parkyakarkas" and died doing a Friar's Club roast with Georgie Jessel and Milton Berle. That is an interesting, if sad story.

Tank said...

I liked the segments Jerry did with Ricki Gervais and Jay Leno.

Leno is funny.

Gervais riding shotgun is funny.

Well JMHO.

Tank said...

Jon Stewart. Pretty funny show, plus I've driven on all the roads they drive on and eaten at the Tick Tock Diner. I mean, who hasn't?

windbag said...

Evidence of how out of touch I am with contemporary culture. I was puzzling over what Gov. George Wallace had to do with Jerry Seinfeld. Google keeps me up to date, though.

ndspinelli said...

windbag, Imagine if the guv were still alive and saw the comedians career bloom.

deborah said...

I've only seen a couple...LouisCK a couple years ago. A dark dude, at least in that one.