Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Sports has officially gone full retard!


I used to be the biggest sports fan you ever saw. I had season tickets for the Knicks for twenty years. A season plan for the Yankees for thirty. Ten years for the New York Giants. I even had a season subscription to the fights they used to have at the Felt Forum. I listened to Sports Radio while I was working ten hour days as an accountant. The sports talk radio was on in the background all the time.

The big sports talk radio was of course WFAN. I  listened every day from the first day. When they had guys like Pete Franklin and Jim Lampley and even that commie Mike Lupica. I followed when they had guys like Dave Sims and Ed Coleman, Len Berman and the Sweater. I listened to every crazy host like Joe Beningo and Sid Rosenberg.

But most of all I listened to Mike and the Mad Dog.


They always frustrated me and made me crazy. Mike was the pompous know it all and the Dog was the loud mouth asshole. Still they knew what they were talking about and talked sports.

The Dog decided to go to Satellite when that was big and made a ton of money. Mike was on his own and sank into pompous mediocrity. I stopped listening as he became a parody of himself. In fact parodies of pomposity are always being posted on the internet. You know where Mike analyzes the American Revolution the way he analyzes football and gets it laughable wrong as usual.

Then of course he started to fall asleep on air. It was laughable. Sad but laughable.

I just couldn't listen anymore. Now I have stopped following most of my teams so I didn't miss it. I might dip in during the playoffs or the World Series especially if the Yankees were in it but I really lost the habit. Then I heard that Francesa was going to retire. The search was on for his replacement.

A bunch of names were bandied about. The fat load from Jersey Chris Christie was mentioned prominently and got a couple of on-air outs where he failed miserably. The talked about a couple of ex players like Phil Simms and a couple of Yankees. None of them were meant to be. Instead they went full social justice warrior.

They hired a big time liberal blowhard in Chris Karlin and a black dude named Bart Scott and most politically correct of all a broad named Maggie Grey. They are posing with Boomer who is the morning guy who just had his cohost arrested.

WFAN decided to go in the new corporate direction.  As politically correct as possible. Ignoring the white working class fan base that is WFAN's audience. Pandering to groups that don't listen to sports radio. Their audience is the UPS guy not the Starbucks barista. They are making the same fatal mistake that the NFL is making. Ignoring the guys who tailgate to cater to the people who mug them in the parking lot.

Fuck them.

I doubt I will ever listen to WFAN again.

Another good thing ruined.

5 comments:

ricpic said...

I'd be willing to bet the ranch that the audience of ESPN and other sports radio stations tilts conservative. And yet sports radio is insanely to the left on things like the knee taking thugs. WHY?

Methadras said...

Leftism destroys everything it touches.

windbag said...

I deleted the three paragraph rant I typed. A simple "Bravo" will suffice.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I am finding there are alternative things to do that watching games all the time.

Tank said...

A shame. Back when I lived in NJ, I used to listen to sports radio more than I watched sports. Really the only two shows worth listening to were Mike and the Mad Dog and the Sweater. Both quite good.

But, as with all things sports, I guess they're going full SJW asshole.

I've been in NC for a year and a half now, so I already was gone, but it's still a shame.